Traditional time calculators
New – Simplified Assignable Time Calculator
You are subject to instructional and assignable time limits if
- your primary function is instructing students,
- you are a lead teacher or in receipt of an allowance that is not an administrative function, or
- you supervise another teacher (or a preservice teacher in a registered apprentice program).
Note: See the definitions of instructional time in Alberta’s Guide to Education:
You are not subject to instructional and assignable time limits if
- you have an administrative designation without a primary function of teaching or
- you are central office staff (for example, psychologist or director) and your primary function is not student instruction.
Are field trips and student exchanges instructional and assignable time?
- If the field trip is part of instruction or part of a credit course, the time you spend providing instruction to students is instructional time.
- If you are supervising another person who is providing instruction to students, this time is instructional time.
- Any required and assigned duty during the field trip (such as travel time or a bus trip) is assignable time. For example, an evening field trip when a teacher is “on call” and supervising students is assignable time.
How to use the calculators
- Ensure that you have Excel on your Mac or PC. Google Sheets is not supported. Get a free online version of Excel through your Microsoft account.
- Save a copy of the applicable spreadsheet.
- Change column widths and copy and paste information from one cell to another cell on a different sheet. This is useful for copying timetable information between days.
Contact Teacher Employment Services or your Teacher Welfare Committee for help.