Assignable and instructional time calculators

Use these calculators to calculate your assignable and instructional time.

Traditional time calculators

Click to download excel files

Elementary and junior high.xlsx

New – Simplified Assignable Time Calculator

Click to download excel files

The new calculator works for any level (elementary through high school).
Requires Excel 2020 or newer.

Simplified Assignable Time Calculator.xlsx


You are subject to instructional and assignable time limits if

  • your primary function is instructing students,
  • you are a lead teacher or in receipt of an allowance that is not an administrative function, or
  • you supervise another teacher (or a preservice teacher in a registered apprentice program).

Note: See the definitions of instructional time in Alberta’s Guide to Education:

You are not subject to instructional and assignable time limits if

  • you have an administrative designation without a primary function of teaching or
  • you are central office staff (for example, psychologist or director) and your primary function is not student instruction.

Are field trips and student exchanges instructional and assignable time?

  • If the field trip is part of instruction or part of a credit course, the time you spend providing instruction to students is instructional time.
  • If you are supervising another person who is providing instruction to students, this time is instructional time.
  • Any required and assigned duty during the field trip (such as travel time or a bus trip) is assignable time. For example, an evening field trip when a teacher is “on call” and supervising students is assignable time.

How to use the calculators

  • Ensure that you have Excel on your Mac or PC. Google Sheets is not supported. Get a free online version of Excel through your Microsoft account.
  • Save a copy of the applicable spreadsheet.
  • Change column widths and copy and paste information from one cell to another cell on a different sheet. This is useful for copying timetable information between days.

Contact Teacher Employment Services or your Teacher Welfare Committee for help.


Teacher Employment Services