You must hold a teaching certificate to teach in Alberta’s K–12 education system.

The minister of education grants both interim professional and permanent professional teaching certificates.

An interim professional certificate is valid for three years and may be renewed until you are eligible for a permanent professional certificate. A permanent professional certificate does not expire unless it’s withdrawn by the minister of education.

How to obtain a teaching certificate

There are 3 levels of certification: teachers, leaders and superintendent. If you're looking for information on leadership certification, please visit Alberta Education's leadership certification page. https://www.alberta.ca/leadership-certifications.aspx

  1. Ensure you have the proper credentials.
    Visit Alberta Education’s website for up-to-date information on postsecondary requirements.
  2. Set up an account with the Teacher Workforce Information System (TWINS).
    Follow the instructions for applying for an interim professional or permanent professional certificate.

For current information on teacher certification and teaching in Alberta, visit Alberta Education’s website

You can also connect with Alberta Education’s Office of the Registrar.

Alberta Education’s Office of the Registrar

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Phone: 780-427-2045
Toll free (in Alberta): Dial 310-0000 before the phone number
Fax: 780-422-4199

E-mail: teacher.certification@gov.ab.ca

Alberta Education

 Visit Alberta Education for additional profession and certification information.


Concerns and questions about certification

If you have questions about your rights and responsibilities in the certification process, contact Professional Development staff by phone for confidential advice and assistance.

If you have questions or concerns about the teacher evaluation process and how it relates to certification, contact Teacher Employment Services by phone for confidential advice.


How to get your Alberta teaching certificate number

  • Alberta Education
  • Request it from your employing school district
  • Call the Alberta Teachers’ Association (780-447-9400). If you’ve had an evaluation of your teaching qualification, your number should be on file with us.


Professional Development


Teacher Employment Services