Getting an Alberta teaching certificate

To teach in Alberta, you are required to hold a valid Alberta teaching certificate. Your first step is to apply for Interim Professional Certification (IPC) so that Alberta Education can assess your educational and professional qualifications. If you meet the requirements, the IPC allows you to teach anywhere within the province's K to 12 system and is valid for 3 years. When you meet all the requirements for Permanent Professional Certification (PPC), your school authority must recommend you for a permanent certificate.

Apply for your teaching certification

Get started in your teaching certification

View the Government of Alberta website